Considering switching to natural gas devices might be a way to save money while experiencing higher levels of comfort and efficiency.
There is a high supply of natural gas in the US meaning that prices per unit are low and stable, and gas is considered to be the least polluting fossil fuel, therefore, it can be regarded as the least environmentally damaging choice.
If you already have gas installed in your home, or are buying a new house you should think about the potential benefits of natural gas devices and gas appliances. Read more about gas appliances below from Spring Appliance Repair NOW:
What are Gas Appliances?
A gas device runs on natural gas as the main power source. Gas appliances afford a viable alternative for electrical goods for heating your living space, heating water, cooking food and even cooling your home and laundry.
In general you will still need to plug in a gas appliance. The amount of electricity needed will vary from appliance to appliance. E.g, a gas water heater will still work even if the power goes out, whereas a natural gas clothes dryer still requires electricity.
A List of Devices That use Natural Gas.
Gas is about more than heating.
Keeping yourself warm with gas is typically less expensive than providing heat using electrical heaters. The difference can be up to 50% subject to your energy costs and efficiency.
Gas provides higher air temperatures and is more reliable.This is due to gas lines being better protected than power lines.
Aside from heating natural gas is great for a fireplace. With a gas fire, you still get real flames and a warm home without the mess.
Gas can offer an adept method to cool your home.
Natural gas powered air conditioning are often more expensive initially but is cheaper on an ongoing basis meaning a better return on your investment. Superior efficiency also has a positive impact on your carbon footprint.
There are two types of natural gas water boilers, non-tank and tank. Gas heaters are faster and more productive than electric water heaters. On-demand heaters also provide a continuous supply even with high demand. Invaluable if you have a big family that appreciates long showers.
The fact that gas lines are usually hidden and sheltered from the weather means you still have hot water even when you don’t have electricity.
Most people have heard the phrase “cooking with gas”. A great commercial strategy conceived to link the use of gas to effectiveness and efficiency.
Regardless of the origin the saying is still around because it is accurate. The majority of chefs choose natural gas for the ability to control the heat, and natural gas stoves provide a less wasteful way of converting fuel into heat.
Gas might not be the immediate thing you think of when it comes to laundry, however, gas clothes dryers have many advantages. They operate a few degrees hotter thus clothes dry in less time.
Using Natural Gas Outside
You have to restrict your gas use to indoor appliances. When it comes to outdoor entertaining, gas is a popular choice for lighting and outdoor cooking and even to heat your pool.
delight your guests as soon as they arrive with driveway lighting, keep them toasty even when the temperature drops and get food cooked outside, whenever you are ready, and without the need to remember to fill up your gas bottles.
Just like domestic heaters a pool or spa heater will get up to temperature twice as rapidly as an electric equivalent. And natural gas patio heaters offer atmosphere as well as offering comfort for luxurious indoor-outdoor living.
Advantages of Natural Gas Home Appliances
With any decision you make it’s best investigate the pros and the cons. First up the benefits of choosing Natural Gas.
- Choosing gas will cut your power bills.
- Gas home appliances tend to be more efficient making them financially and environmentally viable.
- Gas is an environmentally responsible selection as it is the least environmentally damaging of the fossil fuels, emitting around 27% less carbon dioxide than oil and 45% less C02 than coal.
- Natural gas lines are generally more reliable and less susceptible to damage or interruption This means you can still heat your home even if you get a power outage.
Disadvantages of Natural Gas Appliances
- Gas devices usually require a higher initial outlay. Both the ticket price of the appliance and the installation cost are likely to be greater for a gas appliance when comparing to electrical alternatives.
- Having a natural gas line installed can be costly. The price will vary depending on a number of factors, so it is worth talking to your provider before making any decisions.
- Having a gas line moved or extended can also cost a considerable amount so this should always be included in any cost comparisons.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning can be a killer if natural gas home appliances are not properly installed or regularly maintained. Having a carbon monoxide alarm is non-negotiable is you use natural gas in your home.
Should You Choose Gas?
Making the choice between natural gas and electricity is not easy and the right choice for you may not be the best decision for everyone.
Currently natural gas is almost always less expensive than electricity, so if the cost is your main driver this can be a big part of the decision-making process. However, while studies show that three-quarters of new home buyers are choosing to have gas, converting to gas comes at a cost. Thus, finding out how much a new gas line would cost if you don’t currently have gas appliances is a good first step.
Another reason to choose natural gas is reliability of supply. If power cuts are common where you live then being able to heat water, heat or cool your home and cook during power failures can count for a lot.
Finally, in environmental terms, while gas appliances are generally more efficient you can’t power them from renewable sources in the same way you can electrical home appliances. Installing renewable energy may turn out to be less expensive and more eco-friendly options in the long run.